Saturday, October 9, 2010

Step-by-Step Recipe: Apple Cake

I don't think I had ever had an apple cake until last fall.  My sister- and brother-in-law had gone apple picking and were kind enough to share a half dozen or so of their pickings.  Being terrified of making a pie, and not being a fan of apple crisps (too healthy), I decided to try one.  My expectations were low...but wow.  Zack and I devoured the cake ourselves within a couple of days.  And then I made it again and actually shared it with other people!


I found this recipe online at AllRecipes.com.  If you click that link, I have no idea what makes this cake "German."  I just know it's delicious!  I made a few alterations based on reviews from other bakers, and I think they're delish!

Begin by assembling your ingredients.  (Note: I'm assuming everyone knows how to dice an apple, so I didn't provide instructions.  If that would be a helpful tip, let me know!)


Next, cream the eggs and oil with an electric mixer.  Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well.


Then blend the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.


Then with the mixer on, slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg-sugar mixture.  Mix until well incorporated; batter will be very thick.


Now it's time to fold in the apples.  Do this by hand.  You'll probably look at the bowl of apples and be like, "there is no way all those will fit in this batter."  But they will, I promise!  The apples start to release some juice and it softens the batter up.


Once well mixed, spread the batter in the pan.  (I used a bundt pan, and the instructions below reflect this.)


Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes, until it tests done.  It will have formed a glorious crunchy crust.  Try not to eat it now.  Let it cool for at least an hour in the pan.


Then invert onto a serving plate.  Drool.  (I was taking this to work, hence the plastic serving plate.)  You could dust this with powdered sugar to pretty it up, but I think it's great as is!


The end result should be a dense, extremely moist and delicious cake.  Enjoy!  Here's the recipe.

Apple Cake, recipe from AllRecipes.com, altered by Julie
Time: 80-90 minutes, depending how fast you can get the apples ready!  Serves: 12-15.

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 cups apples - peeled, cored and diced (about 4-5 apples, depending on size)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (or spray with Baker's Joy) a bundt or tube pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl; beat oil and eggs with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.
  3. Combine the flour salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cake tests done. Let cake cool on a wire rack before inverting onto serving dish. Serve as is or with a light dusting of powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment