Sunday, January 9, 2011

Step-by-Step Recipe: Potato Leek Frittata

In honor of the new year, I  am trying to introduce the occasional lighter dish into my repertoire.  But being me, I refuse to compromise on taste.  So when the January issue of my Everyday Food magazine arrived chockfull of lighter recipes, I was interested to see if anything sounded good.  Luckily, it seems to have a lot to offer!  My usual practice on Sunday nights is to make a more elaborate meal that yields leftovers to start off the work week.  But this Sunday, I decided to take it a bit easier on myself, and chose a recipe for potato leek frittata.  Sounds like breakfast?  Well, frittatas are like omelets--quick, easy, and good for any meal of the day.  Also, I had potatoes and leeks on hand, sooo... 


Pictures and recipe below the cut.

First things first: assemble the ingredients.  (This photo was taken after I'd peeled, diced, and cooked the potato.  It should be cooked but not mushy, since it's going to cook more in the skillet.)


Next, get out a 10-inch oven-proof nonstick skillet.  Oven-proof means it has no plastic parts (e.g., a metal handle).


Heat the skillet over medium high heat, and add the olive oil, leeks, and potatoes.  Season with coarse salt and pepper.


Saute until the leeks are translucent, about 5 minutes.


Add the eggs and ricotta and stir to mix. Let it cook, without stirring, until the edges set.


Transfer the skillet to the oven, and bake the frittata until the center is just set, about 12 minutes.


Slide out onto a plate, and contemplate how ridiculously easy that just was.


Slice like a quiche and serve!


I obviously served this with a mixed green salad.  If I wanted to make it for breakfast, I'd probably serve it with an English muffin and some fruit.  If I make this again, I'd probably use goat cheese instead of ricotta, and maybe add a few herbs.  It was tasty, but basic.  Make sure you don't under season.

Potato Leek Frittata, from Everyday Food magazine, January 2011
Serves: 6.  Time: 35 minutes, including pre-cooking the potatoes.

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 leek (white and light green parts only), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced and rinsed well (1 cup)
  • 2 cups cooked, cubed, peeled potato
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high.  Add leek and potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook until leek is translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add eggs and ricotta, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.  Cook, undisturbed, until edges are set--about 2 minutes. 
  3. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top of frittata is just set, 10 to 13 minutes.  Invert or slide frittata onto a plate and cut into 6 wedges.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight and omg is this INCREDIBLE. I subbed the chicken broth for veggie broth to make it vegetarian and I am sure it tastes just as good — if not better! I am definitely saving this and making it again. And again. Thanks for the post!!!FeedEggFeedEgg.netTechube

    ReplyDelete