Thursday, September 30, 2010

Step-by-Step Recipe: Mini Honey-Mustard Meatloaves with Roasted Potatoes

It's been grey and rainy in the DC area the last few days--particularly last night and this morning.  It's made me crave comfort food, so I did something I almost never do--prepared two beef dishes within one week.  I generally try to make only one beef dish per week, if that, for health reasons.  I figure we're already eating it twice a week since we usually have leftovers, and that's more than enough red meat for a week!  Because I try to limit the amount of red meat we eat, I often make these mini meatloaves with ground turkey.  Feel free to do the same, but be sure to use the dark meat turkey--the all white meat is too dry.  Also be sure to cook it all the way through, which might mean a few extra minutes in the oven.  But this week?  I was extra bad and used the "meatloaf mix" ground meat sold by our grocery store (a mix of beef, pork, and veal).  Don't tell on me!  It was delicious, and I have no regrets.


This recipe for mini honey-mustard meatloaves with roasted potatoes came from one of my Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazines.  My husband and I like it so much I'll make it 2 or 3 times every fall/winter.  When I make it, I skip the salad that is included in Martha's version of the recipe and prepare another kind of vegetable.  This week it was a green salad, but more interesting than the one provided in this recipe (I added grape tomatoes! I live on the edge, eh?).  Before we get to the recipe itself, let me state for the record that I am almost embarrassed to share this recipe because it is so easy.  But it's delicious.  And can be made on a weeknight.  And for those two facts?  On the blog it goes!

And now for the step-by-step.  As always, start by assembling your ingredients.  Some notes: I used regular cheddar instead of white cheddar because that's what we had on hand.  Other than the color, I cannot tell a difference.  And I'm with Pioneer Woman on the shredded cheese thing--please, pretty please, shred your own.  The pre-shredded stuff comes coated in yuckiness that affects its taste and texture. /end soapbox moment.  Also, that gloopy stuff in the middle?  That's the honey-mustard and ketchup mixture.


In a medium bowl, combine the meet, half the cheese, the panko, the egg, and salt and pepper.  Mix well (but not too much) by hand.


When combined, shape into four mini loaves about the same size.  Place on baking sheet (or in a baking dish like I did) and top each with honey-mustard mixture.


Then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.


Next it's time to get the potatoes ready.  I like to mix mine in a bowl rather than on the baking sheet.  So once the potatoes are quartered, mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.  I also added a couple of pinches of herbes de Provence because I had some from our trip to Provence...and it was right there in front of me.  A good choice, but not necessary.  The simple roasted potato tastes great without much dressing up.


Once mixed, spread potatoes out on a rimmed baking sheet.  Try to spread them out evenly so none of them are touching, so they roast properly.


Time to go in the oven!  Put the meatloaves on the top rack and the potatoes on the bottom.  After 10 minutes, swap 'em.  After 10 more minutes, take out the meatloaves. (Aren't they cute?!?)


Roast the potatoes for 5 more minutes or until they look totally irresistible.  You can test one...or 6...to make sure they're cooked through.


Serve the meatloaves with the potatoes...and some sort of vegetable.  Please.  And enjoy!



Mini Honey-Mustard Meatloaves with Roasted Potatoes, from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine
Time: 60 minutes or less, including prep and cooking.  Serves: 4.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
  • 2 tablespoons honey mustard
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 pound ground beef chuck (or other ground meat)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 cup shredded white cheddar (about 4 ounces)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 pound white new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil (or use a 9 x 13 baking dish). In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons mustard and ketchup.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine beef, egg, panko, 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Form into four 2-by-4-inch loaves; place on baking sheet (or in baking dish). Brush with mustard mixture; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper (I prefer to mix potatoes with oil and seasonings in a large bowl and then spread out on the baking sheet).
  3. Place meatloaves on upper rack of oven, and place potatoes on lower rack. Bake until loaves are cooked through, 20 minutes, rotating sheets after 10 minutes. Remove loaves from oven; continue to roast potatoes until tender, about 5 minutes.
  4. Serve meatloaves with potatoes and vegetable of your choice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment