Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just for Fun Diversion: Chef Crushes

In honor of tonight's Top Chef Season 7 finale, during which a chef that I definitely do not have a culinary crush on will take home the title (I know this for a fact since none of the three finalists really do it for me), I thought I'd post about chefs.  And crushes.  (Also, I can't upload last night's photos from my iPhone at work, so I can't blog about that.  Yes, I'm at work.  It's my lunch hour, and it's completely allowed.)

I was inspired to talk about chef crushes because I had my first ever Chef Sighting yesterday.  I was on my way to lunch with my project team, walking near the Verizon Center, and I spotted a familiar face.  It was Susur Lee, the celebrated Asian fusion chef who was a finalist in season 2 of Top Chef: Masters.


Let me say for the record that Susur is not one of my chef crushes, though he was so fun to watch on Top Chef: Masters, and I am totally intrigued to eat at his DC restaurant, Zentan, at some point.  Mostly I was excited to see him walking around, and to recognize him!

So who are my culinary crushes? 

First would be Bryan Voltaggio from Season 6 of Top Chef (finished in second place; his brother Michael won).  In addition to being cute, his food always seemed sophisticated and thoughtful, without being too crazy.  That really appeals to me.


Next would be the head judge from Top Chef, Tom Colicchio.  He cracks me up on the show, and I follow his blog on the Bravo website during the season.  He has a sense of humor and an interesting perspective.


Lastly, there's Hubert Keller.  Yes, he's quite a bit older than the others.  But he's French!  And the ponytail is so cute (not pictures here)!  And I don't believe I've ever seen him make something I wouldn't eat.  I was introduced to Hubert via Top Chef: Masters, season 1, in which he was one of the finalists.  My husband and I had the opportunity to dine at his Fleur de Lys restaurant in Las Vegas last fall, and it was definitely one of the top 3 meals of my lifetime.  Truly.  And for that (especially for that truffled onion soup with braised duck breast and black truffles...holy cow that was good!)...Hubert will always have a place in my heart.  And my stomach, should we ever make it back to Fleur de Lys.


And as my husband can't really cook (though his scrambled eggs are pretty awesome), he understands and accepts my culinary crushes.  Just so you know.

Who are your culinary crushes?

No comments:

Post a Comment