Monday, September 20, 2010

Step-by-Step Recipe: Homemade Basil Pesto, with Pasta

In honor of the official end of summer (which is September 23 this year), yesterday I made a double batch of homemade basil pesto.  Is there anything better?  (Don't answer that.)  My basil plants will probably keep producing until our first frost, but they are definitely slowing down because of the shortening days (and lower heat).  Aside: Oddly enough, in July when it was about 1,000 degrees outside and 200% humidity (don't tell me I don't have a flare for hyperbole!), my basil grew and grew and grew.  The basil growth thing is pretty much the only good thing I think came out of that ridiculous heat wave.


Anyway, everyone should make homemade basil pesto.  There's no reason not to do so--unless you'reallergic to basil, can't have Par mesan cheese, or just hate yummy things.  Because basil pesto is certainly yummy.  And nearly embarrassingly easy to make.  Unless you don't like garlic, in which case...well, maybe this blog isn't for you, because I am not shy about garlic.

I hadn't harvested my basil plant for a few weeks, so I had enough for a double batch.  The second half is currently in my freezer, and will hopefully make some dreary December day a lot brighter!  Some recipes tell you to made the pesto without the cheese if you plan to freeze it, but I've never had any problems freezing it as is.  Well--it does lose its bright green color in the freezing-thawing process, but it still tastes good, I promise!

Just look at the bounty of basil that I grew in my own back yard! (I actually didn't cut the plants back that far, if that tells you anything!)


Start by washing the basil.  If you grow it yourself, chances are it's not that dirty--no scary pesticides or anything.  Just regular dirt, so just give it a quick rinse and separate any of the yucky-looking leaves.  Let it dry before you try to use it.


Meanwhile, go on and toast your pine nuts in a dry non-stick skillet.


Then assemble the rest of your ingredients.  Note: I also sauteed some chicken sausage to serve with the pasta, which I sliced up here.  You'll see that again later.  I used the roasted garlic flavor.  My husband and I both love the stuff!


Next, pull all the pesto ingredients except the olive oil into the bowl of a food processor.


Pulse until coarsely ground.


Then turn the food processor on and drizzle the olive oil in through the feeder tube.


Process until smooth--you should have a glorious green paste.  Scrape down the sides and process again if anything didn't get blended in.


If you're going to add a protein, now's the time to cook it.  This is also when you should put your pasta on to cook.  I sauteed some sliced chicken sausage until lightly browned and heated through.  (It comes fully cooked.)


Toss with hot pasta and serve topped with the protein of choice and little sprinkle of Parmesan.  Enjoy!


I recommend serving this pesto with a short pasta--I used penne, but also like farfalle or orecchiette.  You want something with ridges or nooks and crannies that the sauce will get caught in.  Or gnocchi.  Because that is delicious.  I usually sautee some chicken (or chicken sausage) to serve with the pasta, but you could also grill up some fish or something--you want something lighter so it won't compete with the pesto flavor.  Here's the chicken sausage brand I use, if you're curious.  (This brand makes a lot more flavors, including breakfast sausages, but this is our favorite!)



Julie's Homemade Basil Pesto
Time: 15 minutes, including washing the basil.  Seriously.  It's that easy.  Serves: 4 for a pasta main course, 6 for a side.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried, lightly packed
  • 1/3 cup fresh grated/shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled (adjust for your taste and the size of the cloves)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions
  1. Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.  When hot, add the pine nuts to the dry skillet.  Lightly toast, tossing occasionally.  When lightly brown and toasted (do not overbrown, as that will result in a bitter and unpleasant flavor in the pesto), transfer pine nuts to a bowl and turn off the heat.  Let pine nuts cool a bit.
  2. Add the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper to the bowl of a food processor.  (You can use a blender, but trust me, a food processor is much easier for this.)  Pulse with metal blade until coarsely ground.
  3. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil through the feeder tube while the processor is on.  Add enough olive oil to get the consistency of a tapenade or thick apple sauce.  Process until smooth.
  4. Toss sauce with freshly cooked pasta of your choice.  Toss to coat evenly.  Top pasta with more Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment