Thursday, July 14, 2011

Recipe Roundup: What I'll Be Making This Weekend

I am off from work every other Friday, and tomorrow is one of those Fridays.  On my "long" weekends, I usually have more time (and desire) to cook and try new things. 

Given that I still don't have a reliable oven (it works, but the temperature is inconsistent, which makes it unpredictable and frustrating), I won't be making any blueberry muffins like I really want to.  But there are other things I can do with those blueberries!  And there are some other things that look interesting.  Here are a few things I'm considering trying over the next few days.

The final Harry Potter movie opens tomorrow, and Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake has been posting Harry Potter-themed recipes all week.  Most sound delicious, but many involve baking (Pumpkin Pasties, anyone?).  But this homemade Butterbeer recipe does not!  I fully intend to brew a batch so that we can enjoy it before we head to the movie theater!

Gina of SkinnyTaste.com shared a recipe for a Fish and Shellfish Soup that sounds awesome and easy.  We'll see if my husband will go for it.  Perhaps if I can find a recipe for that delicious French rouille that goes so well with toasted rounds of bread and French fish soup?  It is Bastille Day today, after all, so a French-themed meal might be called for.  And this soup recipe basically sounds like a simplified version of the fish soup we had in Provence and Nice, which was unexpectedly delicious.

Speaking of blueberries, don't these Blueberry Lemon Trifles from Kerstin at Cake, Batter & Bowl look good?  I could probably substitute store-bought poundcake for the cookies...  Anything involving lemon curd is a winner in my mind!

Since the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, I see us spending some time on our patio, and I will definitely be asking my husband to fire up the grill.  Perhaps some steaks or pork chops served alongside this yummy-looking Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Grilled Vegetables from Pam at For the Love of Cooking?

(And I'm still thinking about that Grilled Chicken Salad with Fresh Corn, Feta, and Blueberries that Pioneer Woman shared a while back that I included in my salad post the other week.  We'll see if I can squeeze that in, somewhere.  Maybe if we get some good-looking corn from the farmer's market?)

I'm definitely looking forward to spending some time in the kitchen--what about you all?  What's on the menu for this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment