Monday, March 21, 2011

Recipe Snapshot: Balsamic and Cherry Pork Chops

Some weeknights are tough for my husband and I, in terms of getting a decent homecooked meal.  I suppose that could have something to do with the fact that neither of us gets home from work until after 7 o'clock, but it's also because we both have jobs that are intellectual in nature, and some days I don't have the brain power to follow a recipe.  My husband sometimes wishes he could spell me from cooking duty, but cooking does not come naturally to him.  Every now and again, though, there's a recipe that is simple enough that either of these challenges can be overcome.  These balsamic and cherry pork chops fit the bill completely.  I can make it even when I feel braindead, and my husband can make it, as well, without too much coaching on my part.


A friend from work actually shared the original recipe with me a few years back, from Cooking Light.  I altered it slightly to suit our tastes (and what was available in my pantry), and it's become a regular in our weeknight dinner rotation. I usually serve these with couscous and a green vegetable (whatever I have on hand)--this last time it was simple sauteed spinach (a major upgrade from the boiled frozen spinach of childhood). It's because I'm midwestern by birth, I think--all meals need a protein, a starch, and a vegetable.  I can't help myself!

Recipe below the cut!


Balsamic and Cherry Pork Chops, recipe originally from Cooking Light, altered by Julie as shared at Tasty Kitchen
Time: about 20 minutes. Serves: 4.

Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
  • 1-½ pound boneless center-cut loin pork chops (4 chops, about 6 oz. each)
  • ¾ teaspoons coarse salt, divided
  • ½ teaspoons freshy ground black pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons finely diced shallots
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • ¼ cups ruby port wine
  • 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • ½ cups cherry preserves

Directions
  1. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and all of the pepper.
  2. Add pork to the pan; cook for 3 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan.
  3. Melt the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter in a skillet. Add shallots and garlic to the pan; sauté for 30 seconds.
  4. Add port and vinegar to the pan; cook for 30 seconds, stirring occasionally.
  5. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cherry preserves; cook for 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly, until smooth. Return the pork to the pan; cook for 30 seconds or until desired degree of doneness, turning to coat. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment