Friday, February 25, 2011

Recipe Snapshot: Stuffed Mushrooms

The other recipe I tried last weekend was stuffed mushrooms.  I know, I know...stuffed mushrooms are played out.  But no one can deny that they taste good.  And this particular variation, brought to us by the fabulous Pioneer Woman, is especially yummy.  Unlike the puffs I posted about the other day (which I'm not sure I'll make for my Oscar party), I am definitely making these for our guests.  My husband would probably leave me if I didn't.  Just kidding!


The filling, with the spicy sausage (I used turkey sausage), onions, cream cheese, etc., is a bit different than mushrooms I've had in the past, but was super yummy.  I made a half batch to sample with my husband, and we ate all of them in about 3 seconds.  (Hey, it was dinner!)  Make these for your next get together, and enjoy!  Thanks, PW!

Recipe below the cut!

Pioneer Woman's Stuffed Mushrooms, posted on Tasty Kitchen site
Serves: 8-12 (makes about 24-30 pieces). Time: 1 hour, including baking.

Ingredients
  • 24 ounces whole white button mushrooms
  • ⅓ pounds hot pork sausage
  • ½ whole medium onion, finely diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • ⅓ cups dry white wine (or chicken broth)
  • 8 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 whole egg yolk
  • ¾ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
  • salt and pepper, to taste

 Directions  
  1. Wipe off or wash mushrooms in cold water. Pop out stems, reserving both parts.
  2. Chop mushroom stems finely and set aside.
  3. Brown and crumble sausage. Set aside on a plate to cool.
  4. Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat.
  5. Pour in wine to deglaze pan, allow liquid to evaporate.
  6. Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
  7. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with Parmesan cheese.
  8. Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
  9. Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
  11. Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment