Friday, December 17, 2010

Recipe Snapshots: Christmas Cookies

Because work and life have been very busy this December, I haven't had the opportunity yet to back any Christmas cookies.  This pains me.  But it will be remedied soon, when my husband and I head to Kentucky to visit my mom and step-dad for Christmas.  My mom and I plan to get our bake on!  Seeing that many of you may wish to do some baking this weekend, here are some of the recipes I used last year, most of which are likely to be repeated this year!

Peanut Butter KissesWe all remember these from childhood, right?  Well, I had to make them myself, and they were easy and delicious.  The recipe made about 93847587583 cookies, though, so keep that in mind.  I also made a slight upgrade to the basic recipe: I used the dark chocolate kisses.  Yum!


More recipes (and pictures!) below the cut!

Magic in the Middle Cookies:  These were a new discovery last year, and I am not quite sure how I lived so long without them.  They were amazing and delicious. 


I used Hershey's Special Dark (TM) cocoa to make mine, which is why they are so dark.  I think they taste fine either way.  But what makes them so special?  It's the magic in the middle!


Lavender Shortbread Cookies: These were a lovely surprise.  I had bought some dried lavender at Penzey's Spices, and was looking for opportunities to use it. These were easy and delicious!  Rather than roll out the dough and use cookie cutters, though, I rolled my dough into two logs, wrapped them in plastic wrap, chilled them, and then sliced them into individual cookies.  (I also didn't use the mint in the recipe--partly because it was winter and my mint plant had died, but also because I thought the lemon and lavender were great by themselves.)  I sprinkled a bit more lavender on top, but you could skip that if you thought it was overkill.


I made a couple of other recipes last year, but I either wasn't that impressed by them, or found them to be more work than they were worth (I'm talking about you, cream cheese cookies filled with jam!).

Happy holidays, all!  I hope to update while we're away, but I may find myself too caught up in the kitchen...but I promise to take pictures and post after the fact if that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment